Friday, May 8, 2009

Changes for PBS's Corporate Sponsors

Today this article in the New York Times literally fell in my lap (when I picked up the business section). It's an interesting piece by Brian Stelter about how PBS is changing its corporate underwriting policies in response to both the Internet (though that front is somewhat tacit in the article) and the recession. The change--a shortening in underwriting times--applies to kids' shows and adult fare like Nova and American Experience, but it represents something of a move toward the commercialization (due to quick turnover) of non-commercial TV. As for me, my clearest memory of Reading Rainbow as a kid is the Kellogg logo leading into the butterfly before the opening credits. That's the kind of corporate social responsibility I hope many firms still have--to commit to quality programming long term--despite the changing business model.

The article mentions the Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood. Their site, which is also on my blogroll at the right, is available here

No comments: