Thursday, November 13, 2008

Toot and Puddle


Just wanted to write a quick note that the television version of Holly Hobbie's Toot and Puddle books will be coming to Noggin this Sunday at 7 p.m. Eastern Time. Here's the show's website, including lots of short streaming videos to give you a taste of it. The show's produced by National Geographic and as such the curriculum, not surprisingly, relates to geography and social sciences--exploring new places, travel, different cultures, etc. I've been reading the books since I heard about the show a few months ago and they're delightful. Two years ago Nick aired a Christmas special, apparently as a sort of high-profile pilot episode, which is already on DVD. I've seen portions of it, though not all (and I read the book it was based on), and the characters and animation look fantastic. I must say in this era of proliferating CGI how nice it is to see something done in 2-D. Kudos to the animation studio that produced such rich cel work and to the producers at National Geographic and Nick Preschool that gave them the license and money to do it. My DVR is already set.

No comments: