Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It's Monkey Time!


For the third installment in our little series on new online/DVD releases, I'd like to go to the other end of the spectrum from Underdog. Whereas that show represents an old production re-released on a modern platform, It's Monkey Time! is absolutely new. This is a series of four animated programs (they're not airing as television shows but they're not quite stand-alone films as we generally think of the term; my hunch is that they were created for television but never found an outlet) that are being released sequentially on DVD. A few weeks ago KidScreen said the first installment would not hit the streets until yesterday, September 2, but I now see that Amazon says it has been available since August 26.  Here is the Amazon description:

"This DVD is the first in a series of four that follow Sue and her seven colorful monkeys at the Happyland Zoo where the monkeys live, learn and play. Each day at the zoo is a magical adventure filled with music, laughs and discovery of how we grow together and learn from one another. This DVD features colorful animation and story time illustrations about the importance of good dental hygiene, learning to tie your shoes and learning your ABCs while introducing letter, numbers, shapes and colors and stressing responsibility, good communication and grooming as well as social skills like good manners, sharing and teamwork."

The show was directed by live-action director James Cross, produced by the Willmoss Company; I've also seen both the names TNT Media Group and Brandissimo! attached as well. This first disc runs a total of fifty-one minutes for an Amazon price of $11. (Hotcake-like, as of this writing there are only four left in stock.) According to the website allmovie.com it includes coloring sheets, flash cards, a storybook, character cut-outs, and even some recipes; if that's accurate that makes it quite a bundle.

Besides Curious George I can't quickly think of any shows with monkey protagonists; they mainly turn up in supporting roles for humans like Dora and Kailan. It's an animal that has obvious child appeal, though, so hopefully Willmoss will be able to run with it for quite a while. I don't yet know dates for the next three installments.

3 comments:

Shelley Graham said...

Randy! I'm so glad I found this blog. I love it. And I wanted to say also that I thought your piece in the last Glimpses newsletter was fascinating. I'm so glad to see you doing so much important work these days. Good Job! I definitely miss living in Utah and working at BYU when I read great pieces like that one. Tell Carol hi for us - how many kids do you have now?

uncleporkchop said...

Thanks for the kind words man. I am hoping for the best for this dvd as well as other I want to make in this series. I creaded it in the eye of my sons. I knew it they liked it the world would to. they can't stop wathing it. i did it all on my own with my own money. hopefully it goes beyond what i can think. thanks again for the kind words.

Jimmy

uncleporkchop said...

sorry for the miss spelled word LOL! I was rushing !