Thursday, December 17, 2009

Roy E. Disney


As many readers will have heard by now, Roy E. Disney, his father's namesake and uncle's near spitting image, died yesterday of stomach cancer at the age of 79. Over the years he's been involved in Walt's and Roy O.'s company, he's been seen as a sort of guardian of the Disney name and brand against the likes of Walt's son-in-law Ron Miller and, later, Michael Eisner & Michael Ovitz. I remember first learning about Roy Jr. when I was a junior high school student enamored with Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin in 1993 and I read John Taylor's book Storming the Magic Kingdom about the attempted corporate take over of Disney in the 1980s (yes, I guess I had a touch of nerdishness). Roy was instrumental in retaining control of the firm then as he was just a few years ago in getting Michael Eisner removed after some poor managerial decisions. I don't know that I've been uncritical of Roy's work--heaven knows I'm critical about a lot of things about Disney--but I was essentially a fan of his leadership over the company's animation division, as it was essentially him who was responsible for the aforementioned renaissance in the early 90s and hence the global resurgence in animation that we've seen with Pixar, DreamWorks, and half a gazillion other companies. People might say, oh no, that was Jeffrey Katzenberg, but I don't think that's so much the case: #1) You wouldn't have had Katzenberg at Disney without Roy there first, and #2) I've not been thrilled by anything done at DreamWorks since Katzenberg's own departure from Disney. Of course Disney's slumped as well over the past decade with the rise of 3D CGI (although one should point out it was Roy who helped engineer Disney's union with Pixar a few years ago), but what a thrilling time it was in 1991 to discover the magic of animation and hence of cinema. I've hoed a crooked career path to get where I am today, but it's safe to say I wouldn't be involved in cinema, television, or children's media if it weren't for Beauty and the Beast and, hence, if it weren't for Roy E. Disney. Here are some obituaries:









No comments: