Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Little House in New York(er)


Judith Thurman has a fantastic article in last week's New Yorker about the Little House author Laura Ingalls Wilder (above) and her daughter Rose. I've been reading the New Yorker every week for about a year and a half and I've been quite pleased with the number of articles they've published about children's literature in that time, with both Babar and Stuart Little springing to mind. I'm grateful for such in-depth looks at the lives of children's authors of which this is the latest. Here it is.

2 comments:

MarySquare said...

Randy, I've been enjoying these pieces as well -- I read the Stuart Little one and the Wilder piece. I'll check the archives for the one about Babar.

Oddly enough, I read the Wilder piece while I was reading Little House in the Big Woods for the first time. As a child I never read the Little House books and so decided to read them now and start reading them out loud to my 4 year old.

Cheers -- Mary Aagard -- your old BYU classmate who likes to lurk on your blog.

Randy Astle said...

You can lurk any time. I wrote this whole post and read the NYer article but I haven't actually read these books either--they definitely had a girly stigma when I was a kid, like Anne of Green Gables. So I watched G.I. Joe. Did I contact you about the LDS filmmakers' network? It's at http://ldsfilmmakersnetwork.ning.com/ Join as a writer, if not other things as well! Tell all your friends!